February 1, 2008

Announcing NIBEM!

The ugly black cloud of procrastination is hanging over my head. I'm not doing much writing. I'm not even writing about writing or rather, not writing. Confusing, but true. Maybe it's not a procrastination cloud. Could it be the more ominous cloud of fear? Perhaps, it's a bit of both. My solution? NIBEM.

I just made up NIBEM. It stands for National I'll Blog Everyday Month. Trips off the tongue, doesn't it? I kind of stole the idea from NANOWRIMO–National Novel Writing Month. The idea of NANO is to write a 175 page, 50,000 page novel in one month. This has been going on every November since 1999. 30 days to do a lot of writing,

NIBEM is also a month long, but I have cleverly chosen the shortest month of the year so I will only need to write 28 blog entries. Oops, make that 29. Just realized that 2008 is a leap year. (Didn't know that there are actual Leap Year Rules: 1. Every year divisible by 4 is a leap year. 2. Every year divisible by 100 is NOT a leap year. 3. Unless the year is also divisible by 400, then is it still a leap year. I knew about the divisible by 4 rule, but rules 2 and 3 are new to me.)

Anyway, back to NIBEM. This is the theory. I'll have to write something every day. It will become a habit, maybe even an addiction. I will become infatuated with the process of writing and this will carry over to other projects I want to work on. Sounds logical, but...we'll see.
I'm hoping that this public declaration (public in the eyes of the few readers of "Oh, Margaret!") will prevent me from faltering during the inaugural month of NIBEM.

Just decided I'll try to add a picture per day, too. Might as well work on those photography skills. For the next 29 days I'll carry my little Nikon with me every day and see what grabs my fancy. Not too much to photograph as I write this in my bedroom early in the morning. The shiny gold Buddha with the giant black shadow behind his head, will have to do.

No comments: