April 24, 2009

Carlelicious



The LA Times Festival of Books is happening this weekend at UCLA and even though I won't be in attendance I have devoured all the promotional materials with great enthusiasm. Why you ask? Because Eric Carle is the featured illustrator. I love his art. The style is so distinctive and translates beautifully to many formats. His art makes me happy.



This year Carle is celebrating the 40th anniversary of the publication of the Very Hungry Caterpillar. There is a nice article about him in the LA Times today. I love the anecdote he tells about the origin of the Hungry Caterpillar. It started out as A Week with Will Worm,but there was no ending. By switching the main character to a caterpillar, Carle created the perfect ending...the emergence of a beautiful, colorful butterfly. What a lovely gift he has given us all.

And a final thought for Friday...

No comments: