July 25, 2007

Flying High

The kite flew again in honor of the 30th anniversary (plus one day) of Paul John Desruisseaux and Margaret Elizabeth Davis. It was a beautiful windy day in Cambria, perfect for kite flying and requiring almost nothing from us except bending the crossbar into place and unwinding the string. The orca kite soared high above the cliff, visible I’m sure from the road above the beach. (Forgot to bring my camera on this walk, so the kite's flight lives only in my memory.) There was a small tragedy when suddenly (and without warning) the kite plummeted to earth and became snagged on a snarly, dry plant growing on the cliff. Rescue was necessary and without thought of possible personal peril I leapt into action. Actually before I leapt I had to put my shoes back on, scurry over the rocks and climb halfway up the dirt base of the cliff to free the kite string. The orca sailed again within minutes. Of course, now I had become one of those people who I frequently disparage who venture into the native plant rehabilitation zones. I don’t think any plant life was harmed during the rescue of the kite but I did leave a few footprints (large ones) behind. I don’t think hat the heroes on Law and Order would have much difficulty discerning the perp in this crime.

We are staying in a small cottage right across from the beach on Moonstone Drive. Moonstone Cottages look adorable from the outside but slightly less charming from within. It is a small space and Paul and I have been playing musical chairs while trying to occupy the only comfortable seat in the room. I have tried to be gracious, but someone has been sitting in the overstuffed blue chair more than his fair share of the time. We have also had to deal with the issue of the ants. Could this be an anniversary ritual? Two years ago when I dragged Paul to Lone Pine (104 degrees) our charming motel room had an ant invasion as well. How do these little insects know our travel plans?

This morning we got up early for our traditional sea lion and sea otter surveillance. I actually remembered to bring the binoculars and the camera with me. Saw lots of otters floating on their backs, holding their paws up to their mouths and enjoying breakfast. There were just a few sea lions on the rocks (there is one lying on the rock in the picture above--you just have to look carefully) and one or two swimming in the tidal pools. This afternoon there were 14 of them balanced on one rock and other nearby rocks were crowded, too. Lots of flippers and heads appearing and disappearing in the ocean, but no otters at this time of day.

No comments: