July 17, 2007

Once a Month is Not Enough...


I am ashamed by my lack of postings--one item a month does not a good blog make! But now I have something exciting to share. I am currently attending the Oregon Coast Children's Book Writer's Workshop in Oceanside, OR. This is a solo writing adventure to inspire me to write or perhaps sound the death knell on my writing efforts. I think I'm inspired--I may even be in "love." I have taken 48 writing classes over the past two years, attended numerous SCBWI events, bought lots of books on writing (I've even read a few of them!) but this week may be the turning point I've been waiting for.

I submitted my first chapter of Boxes for critique by a panel of writers, agents and editors. Each participant in the workshop receives a personal critique every day as well as a first page critique by all instructors. I had my first page criitque today and I received lots of positive feedback--I was thrilled. This is the first time I have shared my writing outside the safety zone of my adoring family and my writing class. My real world debut, and I liked the response.

Later this afternoon I had a critique with an agent that was also very positive, "great." I discussed my failure/inability to plot with her and she said not to worry. I know my story, I definitely know Emelia and I should just go ahead and keep writing. That's what Paul, Nora, and Patty have been telling me for months but my lack of confidence kept me editing and revising what I already written. Now I'm ready to tackle the rest of the book. In the immortal words of my dear Paul, "Don't get it right, get it written!"

I'll try!

No comments: